Instructions Following Dental Extractions
1. DO NOT RINSE MOUTH TODAY. Tomorrow, rinse mouth gently every 3-4 hours with warm salt water (half tsp salt to 8 oz water). Continue for at least 4-7 days.
2. BLEEDING. Following extractions, some bleeding is to be expected. The initial gauze pad is to be left in 20 min. If bleeding continues, place new gauze in the area and bite down firmly for 30 min, repeat if necessary.
3. SWELLING. An ice pack should be applied externally to the surgical site 20 minutes on and 20 minutes off for the first day post-operatively.
4. PAIN For mild to average pain a non-aspirin, non-steroidal anti-inflammatory should be used (Tylenol or Ibuprofen, Advil, Motrin). For severe pain follow the doctor’s orders, taking
pain meds as prescribed.
5. FOOD Light diet is advisable during the first 24 hours, especially while the local anesthesia is still present.
6. If any unusual symptoms occur, call the office immediately. PROPER CARE FOLLOWING ORAL SURGICAL PROCEDURES WILL HASTEN RECOVERY AND PREVENT COMPLICATIONS.